£c.£75,000 per annum plus company pension contributions
As the Greyhound Board of Great Britain (GBGB), our role is to safeguard the integrity and future prosperity of British greyhound racing so that it remains a successful and sustainable sport with welfare at its heart. We oversee 21 stadia across the country and ensure each race is run fairly and cleanly. We are also responsible for regulating the welfare and care of all racing greyhounds – from registration to retirement. We are staffed by world-leading experts including vets, academics and animal welfare specialists, all of whom love and care for our greyhounds, putting them centre-stage in all we do.
We are looking for an inspiring and entrepreneurial person with a strong track record of commercial success and new product and business development, who can help GBGB products and services reach a wider audience, increasing our business and sponsorship opportunities.
This is a new Directorate and as part of the Executive Team, the Commercial Director will be tasked with consolidating the strategic direction and business model upon which growth is predicated, as well as exploring new and creative platforms for funding, working closely with all other teams across GBGB. This will be an exciting period of review and progress with a real opportunity for the new post-holder to make their mark, creating a more robust commercial partnership model moving forward and introducing inspiring ideas with and integrated approach to impact.
- Developing and implementing commercial strategies to include marketing, promotion of the sport and sponsorship opportunities that maximises all revenue streams, accelerates growth and delivers long term, sustainable, diverse and non-cyclical income in line with GBGB’s goals, objectives and values
- Conducting market research and analysis to create detailed business plans on commercial opportunities
- Collaborating and coordinating with GBGB Licensed Stadia to increase business opportunities.
- Review and negotiation of commercial contracts
- Understanding the requirements of existing customers to ensure their needs are being met
- Act to acquire new customers and manage client relationships (new and existing)
- Build and maintain profitable partnerships with key stakeholders
- Monitor performance of commercial activities using key metrics and prepare reports for senior management
- Assist in setting financial targets and budget development and monitoring
- Working closely with the other members of the GBGB Executive team to ensure that the Commercial strategy is integrated with other departmental strategies and the overall organisational strategy
- Management of Greyhound Retirement Scheme
- Managing the GBGB Secretariat team and Greyhound Retirement Coordinator
- Fulfilling the duties of a Board Director and a Member of the Business Committee
The successful candidate will have:
- Proven experience as a commercial director or other relevant role
- Commercial awareness partnered with a strategic mindset with the ability to see the bigger picture
- Significant demonstrable experience in product and business development
- Proven ability to work effectively with a broad range of stakeholders on a major project (including finance, design, construction and service provision)
- Proven experience in sales and/or marketing and managing relationships with key clients; strong commercial edge but with a sensitivity to client needs and requirements
- Experience and understanding of market research methods and analysis as part of an overall Commercial Strategy (to include marketing and promotion, brand and sponsorship opportunities)
- Strong knowledge of diverse markets and/or industry
- Excellent leadership and people management skills; highly effective and inclusive manager who can get teams to collaborate in a commercially optimal fashion
- Solid hands-on experience of performance reporting and financial/budgeting processes
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
- Track record of successful project management experience
- Outstanding communication, presentation and interpersonal abilities
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills
- Strong intellect and desire to succeed. Focused on delivery and success
Please visit www.gbgb.org.uk, for more information about GBGB and the services they provide.
Please click here to view GBGB's Greyhound Commitment document.
Closing date for applications: Monday 9th March 2020
Preliminary interviews with Russam: Tuesday 17th & Wednesday 18th March 2020
Final interview with GBGB: Friday 3rd April 2020
How to Apply
To apply for this position please provide the following two pieces of information:
- A comprehensive CV, including details of your achievements in each role and details of two referees.
- A supporting statement, explaining how you believe your skills and experience match the requirements of the role, directly addressing your motivations and the criteria as outlined in the person specification.
- For an informal and confidential discussion about the role, please contact: