£Voluntary with paid expenses
PSPA is the only national charity offering advice, support and information to people living with the rare, incurable, degenerative brain diseases called Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP) and Corticobasal Degeneration (CBD). The charity also supports research into treatments and ultimately, a cure. We exist so that no one has to face the disease alone, with support every step of the way.
The relative rarity of PSP and CBD means awareness of the diseases is low, including in the medical profession. PSPA works hard to raise awareness, particularly with decision-makers and health care professionals, so the conditions are recognised, and the skills and knowledge are available to help those affected access the right services at the right time.
Since the Charity was formed 27 years ago we have made significant progress in raising awareness and supporting people living with these devasting neurological conditions. PSP is estimated to affect about six people in every 100,000, and CBD another 6 people per 100,000. Understanding and finding a cure for PSP and CBD would not only be a breakthrough for those with these conditions but will deepen our understanding of other brain conditions too, including Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. PSPA currently supports 5300 people living with PSP & CBD, family members and carers.
We have created the UK National PSP Research Network in 2013 which brings together leading experts from many areas of biomedical research, including neuroimaging, clinical analysis, pathology and genetics.
We co-founded Promotus in 2019, as an international partnership with counterpart organisations globally, to share information and research projects with a view to finding a find treatments and cures for these devastating conditions.
We are now seeking to recruit a high calibre Chair to lead and develop the board, help steer our future path and coach, support and challenge the executive team. To be successful, you will share our values, and be an excellent communicator with a high level of emotional intelligence. You will:
- Have a proven track record of strategic leadership
- A sophisticated understanding of governance with experience of Board development
- Highly developed coaching and facilitation skills
- Significant financial and commercial acumen
- Experience of driving the execution of strategy, growth, change and organisational development
- You will also be an influential and strategic thinker, with excellent relationship-building and networking capabilities to identify and encourage partnerships, thinking about how we can diversify our income and driving fundraising as one of our key strategic aims.
This is an exciting time to join our Charity, that is leading in this field and where there are significant opportunities that will give challenge and reward.
For more information about PSPA, the role, and the person they are looking for, please download the Candidate Information Pack.
How to Apply
Closing date for applications: Monday 18th January 2021
If you are applying for this role, please ensure you upload:
- A comprehensive CV, including your achievements in each role and the details of two referees.
- A supporting statement, addressing Part One of the Person Specification (found in the Candidate Information Pack) and your motivations for applying
For an informal and confidential discussion, after having read the Candidate Information Pack, please contact our advising consultants Melissa Baxter 07789 985229 or Ian Joseph 07825 267500 at Russam and Trustees Unlimited.