Sophie Hayes Foundation - Chair of Trustees
Your Russam contact
Managing Partner – Charities
As Chair of The Sophie Hayes Foundation, you and the other trustees will provide appropriate leadership and support the management team on strategy, governance and risk management, ensuring that the organisation can meet its obligations and responsibilities.
The Sophie Hayes Foundation is the only organisation in the United Kingdom focused solely on ensuring all women survivors of human trafficking and modern slavery achieve complete and sustainable freedom, through an independence that can only come with the ability to live and work without fear. A better future for every survivor of modern slavery which means a better society for all.
The Sophie Hayes Foundation has a bold vision to increase their impact through both advocacy work and direct programmes with survivors. In the last few years, they have brought in a new CEO, expanded their leadership team and board of trustees. As Chair, you and the other trustees will provide appropriate leadership and support the management team on strategy, governance and risk management, ensuring that the organisation can meet its obligations and responsibilities. You will need to have the time to contribute to the growth strategy by chairing Board meetings supported by the CEO (6 per year), support Committee Chairs and Board officers, work and support the small but mighty management team, and represent Sophie Hayes Foundation to key stakeholders. Detailed responsibilities include:
- Leadership and contribution to the Board on strategic direction, policies,
- goals, targets and evaluation of performance against agreed targets.
- Board agenda and chairing of Board meetings.
- Oversight to ensure that the organisation pursues its objectives and
- complies with its governing document, charity law, and other relevant
- legislation or regulations.
- Oversight of financial strategy and management, in consultation with the
- Treasurer and CEO.
- Awareness of, and contribution to, Committee activity as an ex-officio member of all committees.
The Desired Candidate
The ideal candidate will have experience chairing a Board or Board committee, support our mission and be aligned to our values. You will have strong leadership skills and be able to act as an ambassador for the organisation. We are seeking an independent thinker and team player with specialist skills that you can bring to the team. Required experience:
- Experience as a trustee
- Experience as a Chair of an organisation or committees
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of trusteeship
- Extensive leadership record of accomplishment
- Experience of delivery through team working
- Personal Integrity
- A commitment to the organisation and its objectives
- A commitment to abide by our values.
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to their duties as a trustee
- Strategic vision
- Good, independent judgment
- An ability to think creatively
- Willingness to speak your mind with an ability to listen
- Work effectively as a leader and member of a team
For comprehensive information about the Sophie Hayes Foundation, the role of Chair and the person they are looking for, please download the Candidate Information Pack.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity, please apply with the following:
- A CV, with the details of two referees (we will not contact them without your permission)
- A Supporting Statement, which addresses the criteria in the Person Specification and outlines your motivation for applying
For a discussion about the role, contact Melissa Baxter on 07789 985229 / [email protected].
- Sophie-Hayes-Foundation-Chair-Recruitment-CandidateInformation-V2.pdf - Download